Ever
since I crossed 40 and hit my perimenopausal years, while raging hormones played
havoc in my body I realized it was getting harder for me to keep my waist in
check. The tight jeans were getting impossible to come around and meet in the
middle, as if suddenly two sides have declared a war and decided never to come
any closer than three inches. I missed the days when they were friends together.
I would just tug and pull and they would meet calmly in the center and not let
go until I unfastened them. In order to get that golden era back I would lay
down, suck in my stomach and hold my breath, but, no use.
To give
my jeans a little time out, I decided to pull out those sexy black or white
tight fitted dress and see if they would cooperate and show my beautiful curves
that I know I have. Well, good news, the dress obeyed me better because spandex
has been a friend to us women for the longest time, for me, now more than
ever. So I put on the dress made of
polyester and spandex and felt like a million bucks, it hugged me tightly and
sucked in all little bulges right into its place. That is until I ate a
sandwich at the restaurant. The gas that never was seen as a pregnancy of four
months was suddenly out to let everyone know that form the time I sat to eat
and finished that yummy lunch I not only conceived but somehow was almost
midterm pregnant. If I stood up someone is sure to ask me when is the big date?
The spandex was doing its best yet there was a battle between gas and spandex
but gas seemed to be winning the war. I sucked in my tummy paid my side of the
bill and walked out as if nothing uncomfortable is going on at all.
I
wanted to just reach my car quickly and let go of my tummy that was hurting
form being held so tight. I was so uncomfortable that I did not pay attention
to how clunky my heels were sounding and how unnaturally I was walking, as
actually anyone will walk in these kind of heels if they were not making an
extra effort to walk normally. So, clunky, clunk I reached my car while almost
dragging my heels and as I sat down in my car I let go my breath, ahhh. it felt
so good. However from restaurant to the car my loving spandex was full of sweat
from the blazing sun. I could feel the bead of sweat running down my back but
there was no quick way of drying them with spandex and polyester dress on.
I don't
remember noticing the heat in the weather as much as I do now. The hot flashes
were the constant reminder of things changing rapidly. Sweat and uneasy feeling
of tight dress or jeans hugging tighter and not letting the sweat dry off was
the sign that unless and until I can fit into those tight fitting denim, woolen
or polyester pants or dresses it might be a time a look at my fashion sense and
perhaps tweak it a bit into more practical yet fashionable clothing. So I decided to go through my closet.
This is
when I realized for last thirty years ever since the gothic era of 80s hit,
black, brown, greys and light steel blue has become the color of the century.
Well, OK, but it should have died out last century. No matter what our age we
all seem to want to wear those shades and if an outfit did not involve two hole
to slide our legs into it was not an outfit like shorts, capris, pants or jeans
with of course a brown, black, white or grey top. That was the majority of the
American women and girls. I was no exception. This was the first time I did the
thorough check up of my walk in closet and found a tremendous deficit of
colors, happiness and cute sun dresses. What happened to the times when we were
comfortable with colors? Colors were meant for us to be happy with, enjoy our
life with, and be playful with. Who sucked all the colors out of our closets? Where
have those turquoise, coral, blue jewelry and clothes gone? they just made our
complexion glow with warmth of colors. The right shades of bright color can
even eliminate the need of artificial blush for ladies with clear
complexions. I must find some bright
colors and cool clothing. I am not giving up on my jeans and spandex dresses entirely,
but while it may be a slow process I want to be comfortable, cool and trendy.
Hence, I started my search.
It was
a tougher process than I thought. In
some parts of United States wearing colorful clothes is like wearing scarlet
letter. What fuchsia top! Really? You
want to be seen in the public with that color on? It was amazing to see how
taboo colorful clothing is viewed in the states specially where it gets cold in
the winters. Women there are doomed to wearing monotone colors. They can look
at beautiful colors, admire them but not wear them from the fear of being
viewed as awkward one. So the choices for someone like me who was maturing was,
buying jeans or shorts with elastic and
choices of subtle monotone color or prints in a bigger size . Same material and
fabric and the same choices of silver or gold jewelry. How about vibrant colors
with real trendy styles and colorful jewelry that our news broadcasters wear so
beautifully. As far as clothes are concern if I found the color, I could not
find the fabric, If I found the fabric I could not find the colors. There has
to be way of incorporating both. I could find nothing.
I was
fortunate enough to be living in Florida, where color is more acceptable even on
human beings. People are happy in sunny Florida and it reflects in the
clothing. We are happy in sun dresses and bright tops. Yet some people keep
themselves from colors as they have begun to view it as taboo and wild. Colors
are never wild, styles could be. If they complement your color they are
beautiful.
I had been the process of looking to buy a
business. However; once this was my experience and realization that we need
colors back in our lives, especially in our clothing, I opened a boutique geared more towards
colorful, trendy and comfortable clothing that is casual yet elegant, colorful
yet classy and comfortable yet fashionable. It is one happy place for the
customers. It has been welcomed by ladies with open arms. It is called Cotton Daze
is located in Fort Myers, FL. It is at its
third year of business and fashionable side. after seeing the love and
happiness we just opened out website www.cottondaze.com. Slowly and
progressively, we
are adding more and more to the website. If you are located in SW Florida you
are welcome to stop by. Call us at 239
437 4555 if you have any question. Let's start the new era of colorful,
friendly and comfortable clothing without giving up your fashionable side.
No comments:
Post a Comment